Friday 26 April 2013

Writing the Future at the Royal Society, London


I'm looking forward to my day out this Wednesday (1st May) when I'll be attending the mini conference, Writing the Future. 

"The afternoon is designed as a series of creative short presentations and panels themed around the transformative power of science, technology, communication and the human imagination.
Fast, forward-facing and fantastically futuristic, Write The Future condenses the best bits of a typical two-day conference into a single afternoon of compelling content, inspired by the life and work of science fiction author, inventor and futurist Sir Arthur C. Clarke."




The topics include:


  • Wrangling Shamans, Snake Oil and Science Fiction. 
  • Kinking Reality and Imagining the Future. 
  • Don't Feed the Lizard Brain. Surviving the Social Media Comedown
  • Free Your Words and Your Mind Will Follow. Language as Technology and Ludwig’s Talking Lion
  • The Bionic City of the Future
  • Botworld. A Printer That Prints Its Own Face, and How The Web Won't Stay Trapped Behind Glass
  • Future Now



If any one would like to join me you ARC have announced a discount code,  "whatthefuture"  via twitter: that gives you a discount bringing the cost down to £35 for the afternoon.

a

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, L. Now that I've posted this, I'm getting even more excited.

      Delete
  2. You're going to have an amazing time, I'm quite envious. This is something I need to look into when I have free funds. The irony is, I have the time as I am currently not working, but don't have the money. Yet once I do start working and bringing in the money I probably won't have the time. Oh, life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, a shame you can't make it, Mark. I'm very lucky that I live in London, and these events pop up. But I reckon there's other good stuff in the regions, too.

      Delete
  3. That sounds fantastic. Can't make it I'm afraid but I look forward to hearing abou tit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy, Deborah! This sounds like a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. Plus I'm meeting up with my writing buddy, Sylvia Spruck Wrigley. Always go to these things with a pal is my advice.

      Delete
  5. Makes me wish I didn't live out in the sticks. Hey! Who put all these sticks here...? Oh yeah. Anyway, hope you enjoy it - sounds really interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Peter, I hope you're not living in Karl Edward Wagner's kinda Sticks place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nah, they knocked that place down years ago... Just glad I kept some sketches of it as it had some cool interior design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool -- "Don't feed the lizard brain" sounds right up my alley! I look forward to hearing (reading) about your gleanings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I could have been there! I'm a big fan of Arthur C. Clarke.

    ReplyDelete