Monday 28 January 2013

The End of the World


Allison Morris sent me this great graphic about the end of the world. Eschatology is a fascinating subject. I think it's a window onto other culture's world views. And also reflects something eternal in the human psyche. 

My favourite is The Great Disappointment, solely for the perfect naming:

It's a popular topic for science fiction writers. The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF is a good read, if you're interested in a fictional take. 

What about you dear readers? End of the world or you pro or nay? Is it a subject that you've tackled?

End of the World Infographic Attribution to OnlinePsychologyDegree.net  

13 comments:

  1. I suppose it will end eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that! I'm always game for the end of the world. I do have two unpublished novels where the earth is to be destroyed by a galactic scale event, which is unavoidable, and another where earth is certainly under the threat of ultimate doom. Yes, the whole eschatology thing strikes a chord with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny tidbits. Somebody will get it right, until then, we'll have fun writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol:) I always find that end of the world stuff is always near at hand...mainly because if it's int he distant future no one would care:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! This is so cool! I've written a book about the end of the world, like many SF authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When the sun burns out in 6 million years, we'll be gone. Until then, I think we just keep going in cycles :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But where will we be gone, Patsy? Another system maybe.

      Delete
  7. Great graphic. I can guarantee the world will never end. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy to apologise...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to hold you to that, Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a BIG fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, and I'm sure the world will end someday -- I'm just not foolish enough to try and predict when.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment on my blog. lovely to meet you, and will be following you from now on. I love this graphic!!

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nutschell,

    I really enjoyed Simon's post. Can his desk really be that clean?

    ReplyDelete